Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Marmalade!

It is oranges season, and they're selling them off in huge quantities. My kids are loving them fresh, but seeing as there's so much to go around I figured that when life throws you Oranges, MAKE MARMALADE!!! This is my Oma's recipe and since having made a couple of batches, I have recieved so many compliments. This recipe is really easy, and worthwhile.

Oma's Marmalade

Ingredients:
6 Oranges
2 Lemons
2 Litres water
2,5kg Bag Sugar
8 Sterilized Jam Jars

Method:
1. Thoroughly wash the fruit.
2. Slice the orange in half from top to bottom.
3. Now slice it finely, repeat with remaining oranges and lemons.
Beware to discard the pips!
4. Put the fruit and it's messy juices into a large cooking pot and cover with the water for 24 hrs.
5. The next day, bring the pot to the boil and gently simmer the fruit until soft (1hr)
6. Now add the sugar, stirring so that it doesn't catch on the pot.
7. Turn up the heat and keep stirring.
8. You know it's thick enough when you insert a spoon and the jam bubbles up around it, threatening to overflow!
9. Remove from the stove and carefully pour into 8 sterilized jam jars. Seal while hot.
10. Enjoy on fresh toast or give away as gifts!

1 comment:

  1. I utterly LOVED the jar of Marmalade you gave me, Jax! So much so that I'm going to make my own today! Thanks for sharing the recipe :) Claire x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear how your recipe turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...