Friday, December 18, 2009

Delicious Christmas Fruit Cake

This Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe was the first one I ever tried and although I've tried a couple of other recipes since then, I always keep coming back to this one. It is absolutely gorgeous! I find that it is sweet enough on it's own so I prefer not to ice it.

Delicious Christmas Fruit Cake

Ingredients:
250g Margarine
1 C Water
1 C Sugar
3 C Fruit Cake Mix (I use 1C each of cake mix, raisins and sultanas.)
1/2 C Chopped Dates
1/2 C Chopped Cherries
1 tsp Bicarb
2 C Flour
1 tsp Cocoa powder
1 tsp Baking powder
Pinch salt
1/2 tsp each of Cinnamon, Allspice, Nutmeg & Ginger
2 Eggs
60ml Brandy

Method:
1. Place the margarine, water, sugar, fruit mix, dates, cherries and bicarb into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes until sugar and dates dissolve. Allow to cool.
2. In a jug beat the eggs and brandy together and add to the cooled fruit mixture.
3. Sift the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add the fruit mixture to it. Mix well.
4. Pour mixture into a greased and lined tin. (I use a loaf tin, but square or round tins can also be used.) Cover the top with tinfoil. (Shiny side out to prevent burning)
5. Bake in a preheated oven of 160* for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake at 180* for a further 30 minutes.
6. Turn cake out and wrap in a damp dishcloth (don't ask me why, I haven't a clue!)
7. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before icing the cake.

2 comments:

  1. Thought of you sitting in stuning Knysna on Christmas day as we ate 'your' Christmas cake and Christmas pudding all the way in hot Brisbane! What more can I say but...."simply da best!" And of course Happy Christmas and may God bless you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming back and leaving this comment! It's so much fun to hear from folk who enjoy my recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear how your recipe turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...