Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Delicious Custard Slices Recipe

I was deliberating what treats to make for our Ladies bible study this afternoon, and Custard slices are definitely my first choice. They are not difficult to make, and the compliments and oohs and aahhs afterwards will make the effort worth while! They are also low GI, especially for my diabetic friends.

Delicious Custard Slices

Ingredients:
1 Pkt Cream crackers
1 L Milk
1 C Sugar
1/4C Margarine
1/2C Flour
100ml Maizena
2 tsp Custard powder
1/2 tsp Salt
100ml Cold water
3 Eggs, separated
1 tsp Vanilla essence

Method:
1. Layer a x x x size dish with 15 biscuits, all in the same direction.
2. Heat the milk in a large-medium saucepan, until boiling.
3. Add margarine and sugar and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
4. In a jug, mix the cold water, flour, maizena, custard powder and salt into a smooth paste. (add more water if needed)Add the egg yolks.
5. Add a ladle spoon of hot milk to the paste, and mix well. Add another spoon or two.
6. Add the jug's mixture to the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil, stirring consistently.
7. Take off the heat, stir in the vanilla.
8. Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff. Fold into the mixture.
9. Pour this evenly over the biscuits and cover with the remaining biscuits.
10. Refrigerate while making the icing.
11. Mix xxml icing sugar with xxml of hot water and pour evenly over the biscuits.
12. When serving, cut each biscuit in half.

Serves 15

2 comments:

  1. I forgot about these. I have some SA custard powder and I think that would be the perfect use for some of it. The NZ custard powder is just not up to standard... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had also forgotten about this recipe for quite some time, but since I've found it again I've made it so often!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear how your recipe turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...