Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mushroom Risotto!

Now, Risotto is a dish I had heard of often, but never tasted, never mind made myself. I had bought a punnet of beautiful button mushrooms and was wondering what to make of them when PING! Risotto came to mind!

I went online and watched a you tube video of some guy cooking up a storm. He really knew what he was doing, but unfortunately gave me no recipe. Just a little bit of this and a LOT of that!

So what follows is my own concoction that turned out really great. Probably just beginners luck!

Jacqui's Risotto

Ingredients:
1-2 Chopped onions
Lots of butter
1 tsp Crushed garlic
1 tsp Italian herbs
1 Bay leaf
2 C Arborio rice (regular long grain is also fine)
125g Chopped mushrooms of your choice (more if you please!)
1 C Wine (He recommends red, I used white, so it's your choice)
2-3 C Chicken stock

Method:
1. In a Medium/Large pot, melt the butter, add the onions, garlic, herbs and bay leaf and simmer on medium heat for 5 min until gently browned.
2. Add the rice and stir till translucent and slightly toasted. Add more butter if needed.
3. Add the mushrooms, stir a bit, and add a cup of wine. Now turn up the heat.
4. When all the liquid has disappeared, add the stock. Turn it down to a gentle simmer and again boil it until the liquid disappears.
5. It should now be a bit creamy. Add more butter and a cup of Parmesan cheese and give it a good stir.
6. Bonapetite!

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear how your recipe turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...