Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Carrot & Coconut Soup

Now that it's winter, it's definitely time to pull out your favorite soup pot and head out to a fresh Vegetable market near you! A week or so ago, I was visiting my friend Claire and moaning about how I had lost all motivation and inspiration to cook. She immediately came to my rescue with 2 gorgeous soup recipes! Thank you my friend - you saved my day!

I tried this one first and it's STUNNING! I screwed up my nose when I saw that it required fresh Ginger and asked her if I could leave that out, but she replied with a definite NO! And having now made it myself, I have to agree! Use this recipe as is, or don't even bother!

Carrot & Coconut Soup

Ingredients:
1 Large Onion chopped
4C Chicken broth (or 4C water + 2 stock cubes)
2 tsp Crushed Garlic
2 Tbs Grated Ginger
1 tsp Curry powder
6 Peeled & sliced Carrots
2 Peeled & cubed Sweet potatoes (regular will do)
340ml Coconut milk
Salt & Pepper

Method:
1. Saute (also called: dry frying) the onions in a tablespoon of broth for 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, ginger & curry powder, mix well.
3. Add the remaining broth, carrots & sweet potatoes and simmer on medium heat until the vegetables are tender (But not mush - There's no good in that!) 15 minutes.
4. Remove from the stove. Add the coconut milk and blend with a hand held blender.
5. Taste and decide if it needs more salt or pepper.
6. Serve with a delicious fresh loaf of your favorite bread!

Serves: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear how your recipe turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...