Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pickled Onions


Malcolm has been telling me how much he misses Pickled Onions, as they are a special childhood memory for him. When some friends at bible study mentioned how they had made pickled onions just the day before, I decided I should give it a try, for Malcolm. Fruit n Veg City were such a blessing as they'll gladly peel these tiny onions for you at the Housewives Corner. What follows is the recipe I tried. I don't know yet how they've turned out, as they need to sit in the pantry for a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd make a note of it here, and update you on how they taste later. They sure smell good!

Pickled Onions

Ingredients:
1 Kg Pickling onions, peeled
1 L Brine (1L water with 45ml salt dissolved in it)
1 Bottle vinegar
10ml Pickling Spice from Robertsons (+ 5 whole cloves)
300ml Sugar

Method:
1) Soak the onions in the brine overnight (24hrs).
2) Put the vinegar, sugar and pickling spice in a medium sized saucepan.
3) Boil until sugar dissolves.
4) Add the onions, cook for 4 minutes.
5) Spoon the onions into 2 large sterilized jars (I used mayonnaise bottles)
6) Pour the vinegar and spice liquid into the jars. Make sure the onions are covered.
7) Seal. Once cool, pack them into a pantry and leave them for a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear how your recipe turned out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...